At some point, you need to look at yourself and ponder what may be causing some of your health issues, at least, that's where i'm at right now. I have struggled with Asthma as a child, but then seemed to grow out of it, only to have it come back way worse than ever in my twenties.
I have always had bad allergies, which went hand in hand with the Asthma. But then also in my twenties, I started to see a skin condition come and go called Tinea Versicolor. Per WebMD, it says it can be most common if you have oily skin, live in a hot climate, you sweat a lot, or if you have a weak immune system. My thoughts are primarily the latter, since for the past couple of years, I will notice it getting worse when I have foods higher in sugar.
For all of the above medical issues I have, I have decided to give up sugar for 1 year (with a couple of minor exceptions), in hopes to rid, or at least better some of these conditions. I have heard that for every year of poison or negative effects you do to your body, it takes one month to reverse it. I am hoping that 12 months of no sugars and very minor processed foods, that I can reverse my health back 12 years ago to my very early twenties when I did not have these conditions.
**exceptions will be made along the way possibly for holidays or rare family get togethers, and also for May 1, my wedding anniversary to have a piece of cake that my wife saved from our wedding. And also the occasional meal out, since it will be difficult to tell if sugar has been added to any of the ingredients of our meals.**
My wife is on board with this as well. It is best if your entire household does any challenges with you in order to help eliminate temptations that they could bring into the home, and also for support during the difficult times of the challenge.
- Absolutely no soft drinks, juices, or other drinks with artificial sweeteners.
- No High Fructose Corn Syrup.
- The only sugar to be eaten, will be natural sugar from fruit (no juice). The fiber is needed to help digest the sugar.
- Carbs: Will steer clear of most of these, but will allow small amounts at times. Natural Carbs from fruits and vegetables are ok.
- No Potatoes, Rice, Baked Goods, Candy, or Refined Sugars.
- Alcohol: Primarily none, but will allow some red wines. Nothing with mixers.
- What to eat: Meats, Fats such as Coconut Oils, Nuts, Avocados, Fruits, and Veggies. *I personally will be taking it easy on fruits, but will have some occasionally.
There will be periodic updates throughout the year.
Starting Your Own Healthy Challenge
When do you start the challenge? And what will you do with the food in your home that you don't want to eat nor tempt you?
The best time to start is now. You're thinking about making the change, you want to do it, but if you put it off in order to finish the food in your home, you may never start.